Sign up to our e-newsletter and keep up to date with news, events and developments at the Tanfield Railway, the World’s Oldest Railway.
No.21, Robert Stephenson & Hawthorns, Works No.7796
No.21 is an 0-4-0ST with 14 x 22″ outside cylinders, 3ft 6in diameter driving wheels, weighing 28 Tons. She was built by Robert Stephenson & Hawthorns at their Newcastle Works and was Works No.7796, ex-works on 2nd December 1954.
As No.21, she was delivered new to the British Electricity Authority′s new Stella South Power Station at Blaydon, which had opened the previous year. Her subsequent owners here were the Central Electricity Authority from April 1955 and the Central Electricity Generating Board from January 1958.
No.21 moved to Marley Hill for preservation in May 1973 and was used for a number of years before being withdrawn from service. No.21 is now in store in the 5-Road Shed at Marley Hill.
Photo: 21 is the engine in steam, hauling Sir Cecil A Cochrane and Irwell out of Marley Hill Shed in the 1970s.
Status: Restored, Stored in 5-Road Shed
16 August 2018