Sign up to our e-newsletter and keep up to date with news, events and developments at the Tanfield Railway, the World’s Oldest Railway.
NCB No.16, Robert Stephenson & Hawthorns, Works No.7944
Number 16 was built, by Robert Stephenson & Hawthorns, to the same design and dimensions as sister loco 38 (also preserved on the Tanfield Railway). She was ex-works from Newcastle Works on 13th December 1957, with the works number 7944. Built as oil fired, this equipment was removed prior to delivery and she retains the removable back to her coal bunker.
She was delivered to the NCB East Cramlington shed on the former Hartley Main Colliery system, working traffic from Hartford Colliery and Nelson Drift Mine down the long line to the staiths at Percy Main on the River Tyne. She also worked the two mile branch to Dudley Colliery and the link to BR on the Blyth and Tyne line at Seghill. Here she was became No.48 and was painted in a lined black livery.
By September 1958 she was at NCB Seghill Colliery, moving to NCB Seaton Delaval shed in February 1959, and back to East Cramlington around May 1959. In August 1959 she was back at Seaton Delaval, returning to East Cramlington around January 1960. She moved to NCB Bedlington "A" Colliery in March 1962, where she officially became No.62 in 1964. In September 1971 she moved to NCB Backworth loco shed and became No.16 the following day. At Bedlington, Burradon and Backworth, she was registered by the Railway Executive and later the British Transport Commission as No.1698 of 1953 and also for a time No.1772 of 1953, in order to work over parts of the British Railways (BR) network, and, as such, was regularly inspected by BR. She was Fenwick Pit Pilot for a time here and was overhauled for the second time here and re-tyred, also being repainted into the NCB Northumberland Area unlined dark blue livery with the area crest.
She was loaned to NCB Burradon sheds from July 1973 to July 1974, returning there for storage in January 1976.
No.16 was sold to the Stephenson Hawthorn Locomotive Trust in March 1976 and returned to Backworth for storage in February 1977. She was moved to Marley Hill in June 1980. Since moving to Marley Hill, No.16 has not been used, but has recently received a coat of protective paint (2012) in order to prevent corrosion. No.16 can be found on No.1 Turntable Road, next to the 3-Road Shed at Marley Hill.
Photo: No.16 at Marley Hill
Status: Stored, Marley Hill Yard
21 July 2018