Sign up to our e-newsletter and keep up to date with news, events and developments at the Tanfield Railway, the World’s Oldest Railway.
No.13, Hawthorn Leslie & Co. Works No.3732
No.13 is an 0-4-0ST with 14 x 22″ outside cylinders, 3ft 6in diameter driving wheels, weighing 28 Tons. She was built by R&W Hawthorn, Leslie & Co Ltd, Forth Banks Works, Newcastle upon Tyne. As works number 3732, she was ex-works on 14th August 1928 to the City of Newcastle Electric Supply Co Ltd, Carville Power Station, Wallsend. The power station owner became the North-Eastern Electric Supply Co Ltd in September 1932.
She was moved to Dunston Power Station around 1936, where her later owners were the British Electricity Authority from April 1948, the Central Electricity Authority from April 1955 and the Central Electricity Generating Board from January 1958. In December 1973, she moved to J Parker, Slaggyford Station, Cumberland, for preservation and received the roughly painted name THE BARRA
She moved to Marley Hill on 27th July 1991 and awaits restoration. In 2012, work commenced to prepare the No.13 for a full boiler inspection. To facilitate this, the boiler was jacked up out of the frames.
Photo: No.13 in Marley Hill Yard, with the boiler jacked up out of the frames in order to facilitate a full boiler exam, by J.Kell
Status: Boiler Exam, Marley Hill Yard
26 May 2018