Number 44 has 17x 24" outside cylinders and 3ft 10in diameter wheels, with a weight of 45 tons. She was ex-works from Newcastle Works on 16th June 1953, with works number 7760.
New to the NCB&s Backworth loco shed in Northumberland, she was delivered in lined black livery. Staff at the time were told that she was a replacement for the NCB Opencast Executive&s ex LSWR B4 0-4-0T number DOCP103, which was kept at Backworth to work the Blue Bell Disposal Point. DOCP 103 had been sent to RSH&s Newcastle Works for overhaul in 1953, but she was in such bad condition that she was condemned. As 44 had to work over British Railways lines, she was registered with the Railway Executive and later the British Transport Commission as number 1754 of 1953. This meant she was regularly inspected by BR. She also carried her NCB plant number 9103/44 on her cab side.
In December 1967 she was sent to NCB Ashington Central Workshops for overhaul and whilst she was there was repainted in the NCB Northumberland Area dark blue unlined livery with the area crest. After running in at Ashington loco shed, she returned to Backworth in steam over BR in August 1968. She was loaned to NCB Burradon loco sheds from May 1973 to October 1974.
No.44 was bought through the Stephenson and Hawthorns Locomotive Trust in March 1975 at Backworth. From February 1976 to February 1977, she was stored at Burradon loco sheds and finally moved to Marley Hill in June 1980. Here, she had her saddle tank removed to facilitate the removal of her asbestos boiler lagging and currently stand in Marley Hill Yard, awaiting her turn in the restoration queue. No.44 has not been used since arriving here.
Photo: No.44 at Marley Hill
26 December 2017