Locomotives

RY PICKERING No.4, Sentinel, Works No.9559

Our loco was ex-works on 24/7/1953 to Rugby Portland Cement Co Ltd, Tottenhoe Quarries, Dunstable, Bedfordshire, where she was No.1. In 9/1964 she was transferred to their New Bilton Works, Rugby, Warwickshire. Also here was 4 0-6-0ST Manning Wardle 2047 1926, the last locomotive built by that well known firm, which, now named WARWICKSHIRE, is preserved on the Severn Valley Railway. By 3/1966, Sentinel 9559 was on loan to the company′s Southam Works, also in Warwickshire, returning to New Bilton around 5/1966.

In 4/1967 she was sold to Thomas Hill Ltd, Killamarsh, Yorkshire, who resold her to R.Y. Pickering & Co Ltd, Wishaw, Lanarkshire, later re-named Norbrit- Pickering Ltd. The company were wagon builders and our No.4, as she now was, was used to shunt wagons of all sizes, including 100 Ton bogie oil tankers. Also here was No.3 0-4-0ST R&W Hawthorn 2009 of 1894, the sole surviving loco in the UK built by this manufacturer. Both locomotives moved to Tanfield in July 1979.

The Sentinel has been steamed at Tanfield, but both locomotives are now awaiting restoration and can be found in the shed yard.

Photo: No.4 in Marley Hill Yard

Status: Stored, Marley Hill Yard

Return