Sign up to our e-newsletter and keep up to date with news, events and developments at the Tanfield Railway, the World’s Oldest Railway.
STANLEY, later NCB No. 32, Andrew Barclay Sons & Co. Works No.1659
Barclay No.1659 of 1920 is an 0-4-0ST with 14 x 22″ outside cylinders, 3ft 5in diameter wheels, weighing 28 Tons. As STANLEY, she was ex-works on 3rd March 1920.
No.32 was delivered in 1920 to the East Tanfield Colliery Company Ltd, East Tanfield Colliery, County Durham (the site of East Tanfield Station). In 1929, her owners became the South Derwent Coal Company Ltd.
On Vesting Day in January 1947, she became an NCB loco and was numbered 32. She was moved to the Bowes Railway, Marley Hill shed in May 1950 and repaired by her builders in the same year. She was registered by the Railway Executive and given No.1782 of 1953 to enable her to enter British Railways (BR) exchange sidings and was, therefore, subject to regular BR inspections. In October 1950, she returned to East Tanfield Colliery, moving back to Marley Hill sheds in July 1954. In May 1968, No.32 moved to Springwell Bank Foot shed on the Bowes Railway, only to move to Starrs loco shed, Wrekenton the same month.
In September 1971 she moved to Shop Pit loco shed and finally to Springwell loco shed, for storage, in April 1973.
She moved to Marley Hill in July 1973, and was operated here in preservation in her NCB black livery, as No.32. She has recently been moved off-site for completion of her overhaul. No.32 is one of the few locomotives preserved that worked on parts of the Tanfield Railway before preservation.
Photo: No.21, Sir Cecil A Cochrane and No.32 (furthest from the camera) during the first week of passenger services on the Tanfield Railway in the 1970s
Status: Overhaul, Currently Off Site
16 August 2018