Locomotives

BERYL, Robert Stephenson & Hawthorns, Works No.7697

Works Details:
BERYL was built as Robert Stephenson & Hawthorns 7697 of 1954 with an ERT6 engine and a weight of 40 Tons. She was ex-works from Newcastle works on 25th January 1954.

Working History:
As RSH 7697, she was delivered NCB Calverton Colliery, Nottinghamshire, where she was named No.2 BERYL, one of 3 such locos ordered by the Nottinghamshire Area of the NCB. By March 1976 she, had been sold to Bardon Hill Quarries Ltd, Coalville, Leicestershire.

Preservation History:
BERYL entered preservation in July 1982 on the Battlefield Line, Shackerstone, Leics. She moved to Marley Hill August 2003 and can be found on No.2 Turntable Road, in green livery. BERYL has not yet seen use at Tanfield, but remains in good cosmetic condition.

Photo: BERYL in front of Marley Hill Shed

Status: Stored, Marley Hill Yard

Return