As AMW No.158, CAMEL went new to the Air Ministry, Hartlebury, Worcestershire (other locomotives from the same batch were also sent to the Ministry of Supply). After the war she was sold to Thomas W Ward Ltd, Templeborough Works, Sheffield, Yorkshire in June 1950. From here she was hired to Rea Ltd, Duke Street Wharf, Birkenhead, Cheshire from February 1951, where she was used to shunt the docks.
In October 1952, she was sold first to Hawker Aircraft Ltd, Blackpool, Lancs and again in September 1959 to British Industrial Sand Ltd, Redhill sand pits, Surrey. She later moved to Hepworth Minerals & Chemicals Ltd, Oakamoor, Staffs in June 1960.
AMW No.158 entered preservation on the Churnet Valley Railway, Cheddleton, Staffs in November 1978, and was named D2962 CAMEL. She moved to Marley Hill in March 1987, and, not having been used on the railway, is currently stored in Marley Hill Yard, awaiting restoration.
26 December 2017