CYCLOPS in an 0-4-0ST with 14 x 22″ outside cylinders, 3ft 6in diameter driving wheels and weighs 28Tons. She was built by R&W Hawthorn, Leslie & Co Ltd, Forth Banks Works, Newcastle upon Tyne. As works number 2711, she was ex-works on 21/6/1907 to Bolckow Vaughan & Co Ltd, Cleveland Works, South Bank, Middlesbrough, North Riding of Yorkshire as 112 CYCLOPS. Dorman Long & Co Ltd subsequently took over the works, becoming Dorman Long (Steel) Ltd from 10/1954 and she was rebuilt by them in 1956.
The works later became part of the British Steel Corporation and they moved her to their Apprentice Training Centre at Lackenby Works, Middlesbrough, by 1970. She moved to Marley Hill on 30th December 1975 and has been cosmetically restored.
Photo: CYCLOPS at Dorman Long with the glass carriage (also preserved at Marley Hill)
25 February 2018