The Tanfield Railway has examples of three of the designs in its collection :-
GLASSHOUGHTON No.3 is an 0-6-0ST with 15 x 22″ outside cylinders, 3ft 7in diameter wheels and weighs 37.5 tons. She was ex-works from Hawthorn Leslie′s Newcastle Works on 29th October 1933 with the works number 3575.
As No.3 she was new to the Yorkshire Coking & Chemical Co Ltd at their Glasshoughton Coking Plant, near Castleford in the West Riding of Yorkshire. Here she worked on shunting the sidings off the LMS Methley branch and the short line to nearby Glasshoughton Colliery. On Vesting Day on 1/1/1947 she became the property of the National Coal Board′s Coal Products Division and was renamed COAL PRODUCTS No.3. Ownership changed to National Smokeless Fuels in April 1973 and following the closure of the Coking Plant in April 1978, she moved to Marley Hill in March 1979. With her blue paint showing results of the corrosive atmosphere in which she worked, she awaits restoration in the 5-road shed.
Photo: GLASSHOUGHTON No.3 at Marley Hill in the 1970s
25 February 2018