HENDON, Robert Stephenson & Hawthorns, Works No. 7007
HENDON is an 0-4-0 Crane Tank with 12 x 15″ outside cylinders, 2ft 10in diameter driving wheels and could lift a weight of 4 Tons. R W Hawthorn, Hawthorn Leslie and Robert Stephenson and Hawthorns built over 80 of these locomotives. Their jibs were lifted and traversed by direct action and they were fitted with modified Joy valve gear. The first one was built in 1880 and the last one in 1950.
HENDON was one of a pair built for Doxford & Sunderland Shipbuilding & Engineering Co Ltd, Pallion Shipyard, Sunderland in 1940, using parts built for a cancelled order for The New Russia Co in 1918.
She was works number 7007, ex-works on 10/7/1940 to Doxfords, who ordered another two from the company in 1942 and had a fleet of 11 of these locomotives at one time or another. All four RSH built examples are preserved. In 3/1970 the name of the firm changed to Doxford & Sunderland Ltd. When the company gave up rail traffic in early 1971 and modernised the yard, HENDON was sold to Blaydon Metal Co, Blaydon for scrap in 3/1971. In January 1974, she moved to Marley Hill and can be found in the five road shed.
Photo: HENDON at Marley Hill in the 1970s
Status: Stored in 5-Road Shed