Sign up to our e-newsletter and keep up to date with news, events and developments at the Tanfield Railway, the World’s Oldest Railway.
KEARSLEY No.3, Robert Stephenson & Hawthorns, Works No.7078Kearsley No.3 is a 4w-4wWE of 230hp and weighing 26 Tons. She was built by Robert Stephenson & Hawthorns, Newcastle works, to a Hawthorn Leslie design and was ex-works on 24/5/1944, carrying works number 7078.
She was new to the Lancashire Electric Power Corporation Kearsley Power Station, Radcliffe, Manchester, where she was numbered LEP 3, later 3. Here she worked on the electric system , with two sisters built by Hawthorn Leslie and another one by RSH Newcastle. One of her HL sisters here (HL 3872) was later rebuilt as a battery loco and has joined her at Marley Hill.
Over the years her owners here changed to the British Electricity Authority, Central Electricity Authority and finally the Central Electricity Generating Board. On the closure of the system she was sold to the West Yorkshire Transport Museum, Bradford in 7/1983 and by 9/1987 was in store at their Hammerton Street Depot, Bradford. In 6/1989 she moved to Marley Hill and can be found in the yard, painted in blue livery.
Photo: KEARSLEY No.3 in Marley Hill Yard
Status: Stored in Marley Hill Yard
16 August 2018