Locomotives

LYSAGHTS No.62, Robert Stephenson & Hawthorns, Works No.7035

DONNA, as she is now known, was ex-works from Robert Stephenson & Hawthorns Newcastle Works on 5th February 1941, with the works number 7035. She had been started at their Darlington Works and moved to Newcastle Works for completion. As No.62, she was new to Appleby-Frodingham Steel Co Ltd, Frodingham Steelworks, Scunthorpe, Lincolnshire with 3ft 8in diameter wheels. The life of a steelworks loco is hard and she was rebuilt twice at their well equipped Central Engineering Workshops in 1950 and 1957.

Following the almost total dieselisation of the works and as she was one of the last locos in good condition, she was sold with three others (HL 3505, RS 4157 and RSHD 7021) in December 1960 to neighbours John Lysaghts Scunthorpe Works Ltd, Normanby Park Steelworks, where she was No.15. Her new task was to haul wagons of molten slag up the heavily graded line to the slag tip, which was some distance from the works. The locos worked bunker first to shield the crews from the intense heat.

Following the dieselisation of the Slag Run, her sisters were scrapped in 1963 and in April 1964 she was presented to Scunthorpe Borough Council as a piece of play equipment in their Jubilee Playing Fields at Ashby, near Scunthorpe. Here she only carried the name of her previous owners LYSAGHTS on her saddle tank. She moved to Marley Hill in October 1982.

Since arrival, she has been dismantled and her frames shot blasted. The frames are located in the shed yard and her wheels, cab, bunker and new saddletank are around the site.

Status: Long-Term Restoration, Marley Hill

Return