NCB No.6, Andrew Barclay Sons & Co. Works No.1193

1193 of 1910, an unusual 0-4-2ST loco with 15 x 22″ outside cylinders, 3ft 6in diameter driving wheels and a weight of 33.5 Tons. As No.6, she was ex-works on 18th January 1919 to the Lothian Coal Co Ltd, Lady Victoria Colliery, Newtongrange, Midlothian, which is now the Scottish Mining Museum. There were four of these 0-4-2STs here, two by Barclay and two by the other Kilmarnock engine builders Grant Ritchie & Co, one of which is also preserved at Prestongrange Mining Museum, Prestonpans, East Lothian.

On Vesting Day in January 1947 she was still at Lady Victoria Colliery and became an NCB loco. About 1958 she was sent to the nearby Newbattle Central Workshops for overhaul, returning around July 1960. In around May 1969 she was moved back to Newbattle Central Workshops for storage. Here her trailing truck was removed and she was bought in this state and moved to Marley Hill in November 1977. As yet unrestored, parts for her trailing truck have been sourced.

In 2012, she was moved from her previous position on No.2 Turntable Road and was brought to the top of Marley Hill Yard in order to assess the condition of the boiler, with relation to the current overhaul of HORDEN. In summer 2012, having been assessed, the boiler was painted in protective paint as a conservation step and the locomotive re-assembled. No.6 currently resides at the top of Marley Hill Yard.

Photo: No.6 in its previous position on No.2 Turntable Road, by E.Garrod

Status: Stored, Marley Hill Yard