Sign up to our e-newsletter and keep up to date with news, events and developments at the Tanfield Railway, the World’s Oldest Railway.
NCB No.17, Andrew Barclay Sons & Co. Works No.1338
No.17 is Works No.1338 of 1913, an 0-6-0T with 18 x 24in outside cylinders, 3ft 9in driving wheels, weighing 45 tons. No.17 was ex-works on 29th July 1913 to the Dalmellington Iron Co Ltd, Dunaskin Loco Sheds, Dalmellington, Ayrshire. Initially, she worked traffic to and from the collieries and ironworks on the extensive Waterside system, with its 6 and a half mile long main line and maximum gradient of 1 in 35. The ironworks closed in 1921, and, in July 1931, her owners became Bairds and Dalmellington Ltd. Like her three 0-6-0T sisters, she acquired a cut down coal wagon as a makeshift tender for the runs up to Pennyvenie, Minnivey and Houldsworth collieries.
On Vesting Day in January 1947, she became an NCB loco and, as she had to enter British Railways exchange sidings, she received Railway Executive registration No.469 of 1952 and was, as such, subject to regular inspections by British Railways (BR). She also carried NCB plant No.E/SL 14 on her buffer beam. Following the scrapping of another 0-6-0T loco, she was joined by new sister loco No.24 Barclay 2335 of 1953. This loco was a bad steamer and was fitted with a Giesl Ejector by Barclays, which cured her. This loco is preserved by the Scottish Railway Preservation Society at Bo′ness, Lothian.
No.17 was sent to the NCB′s Cowdenbeath Central Workshops in Fife, just before the closure of the Waterside system in July 1978. She was then moved to the Withdrawn Machinery Stores at Arniston, Midlothian for storage in March 1979.
In October 1980, she moved to Marley Hill.
Photo by E.Garrod, No.17 is the side tank locomotive in front of the camera.
Status: Under restoration at Llangollen Railway.
18 November 2018