Sign up to our e-newsletter and keep up to date with news, events and developments at the Tanfield Railway, the World’s Oldest Railway.
RENISHAW IRONWORKS No.6, Hudswell Clarke & Co. Works No.1366RENISHAW IRONWORKS No.6 is an 0-6-0ST with 15 x 22″ outside cylinders, 3ft 4ins diameter wheels and weighs 27 1/2 tons. She was ex works on 24th November 1919 with the works number 1366. As No.16 she was new to the Appleby Iron Co Ltd, Appleby Ironworks, Scunthorpe, Lincolnshire. In October 1934 the company merged with the adjacent Frodingham Iron & Steel Co Ltd to form the Appleby-Frodingham Steel Co Ltd. The two works were merged and modernised and she was renumbered 116 in 1934 and later 76 in 1938. At Appleby-Frodingham she worked with another Tanfield loco No.62 RSHN 7035 from the new Central Locomotive Shed.
After World War 2 she was rebuilt in 1948 by Yorkshire Engine Co Ltd, Sheffield. In February 1952 she was sold to sister company The Renishaw Iron Co Ltd, Renishaw Ironworks, Derbyshire, where she was named RENISHAW IRONWORKS No.6 and registered by the Railway Executive as 936/937 1953 to run over British Railways. In 1961 she was sold to sister company the Byfield Ironstone Co Ltd, to work at their Midland Ironstone Mines at Crosby, near Scunthorpe. Here she worked over the rough temporary tracks in the quarries and on the private line leading to Frodingham Iron & Steelworks.
Mining ceased in March 1969 and along with sister loco 65, HC 1631, she was purchased for preservation by RT Robinson. They were moved to the British Steel Corporation′s Redbourn Works loco shed for storage in August 1969 and on to British Railways Docaster MPD in November 1969. By August 1972 they had moved to the Lakeside & Haverthwaite Railway in Cumberland and by January 1991 to Steamtown at Carnforth, Lancashire. Both locos were looking increasingly derelict when ownership of Steamtown passed to the West Coast Railway Co. In July 1997, Mick Fairnington of Wooler, Northumberland took pity on her and moved her to his workshop at Wooler, for restoration.
No.6 arrived at Marley Hill on loan in March 2004 following the completion of her restoration and saw regular use until October 2012, during which time it was also loaned to Beamish Museum from March to June 2010, to commence their passenger service. No.6 was withdrawn from service in October 2012, upon the expiration of her 10-year boiler certificate. Since October, work has begun to overhaul No.6 and, so far, work has focused on beginning to dismantle the locomotive, with the smokebox now empty of concrete and also being without a blastpipe.
Photo: RENISHAW IRONWORKS No.6 in Andrews House Station, by E.Garrod
Status: Overhaul, Marley Hill Shed
26 May 2018