R & W Hawthorn Leslie developed a range of six coupled locos over the years and several of the designs survived long enough for examples to be built by their successors Robert Stephenson & Hawthorns.
The Tanfield Railway has examples of three of the designs in its collection :-
STAGSHAW is an 0-6-0ST with 14 x 22″ outside cylinders, 3ft 6in diameter wheels and weighs 32 1/2Tons. She was built in 1923 as an experimental compressed steam locomotive. This had two 150hp petrol engines and used the Paragon-Christiani system. She was not a success and in 1927 was converted to a conventional steam locomotive. As such she was ex-works on 31st January 1927, with the works number 3513.
As STAGSHAW, she was new to Strakers & Love Ltd, Brancepeth Colliery, Willington, Co. Durham. By March 1940 she had moved to their nearby Brandon Colliery. On Vesting Day in January 1947 she passed to the National Coal Board, moving to their Brandon Pit House Colliery in September 1960. Whilst here she was rebuilt by Hunslet Engine Co and the NCB. She moved to Wheatley Hill Colliery in May 1967, where she was painted in yellow livery with wasp stripes. She didn′t stay there long and moved to Shotton Colliery in May 1968. Here she worked alongside HORDEN, an Andrew Barclay 0-6-0ST currently under overhaul on the railway.
With the closure of Shotton Colliery in September 1972, she was sold to the Stephenson Hawthorn Locomotive Trust and moved to Marley Hill in July 1972. Now repainted unlined black, she saw many years use and is now located in the five road shed, awaiting overhaul. She carries a brass stag on her chimney, which was formerly carried by her shed mate RW Hawthorn 1821 of 1880
Photo: STAGSHAW passing under Gibraltar Bridge
26 December 2017