Sign up to our e-newsletter and keep up to date with news, events and developments at the Tanfield Railway, the World’s Oldest Railway.
The Tanfield Railway offers an unforgettable Christmas experience aboard the North Pole Express on a four mile return steam train ride through stunning winter countryside to see Santa Claus in his magical grotto. Passengers should keep a look out for deer and other seasonal wildlife in the picturesque Causey Valley within County Durham.
Hot drinks and mince pies for adults are served in our warm and welcoming tea room whilst children receive soft drinks and snacks as well as a quality small early gift from Santa Claus.
Pre booking for this hugely popular event is essential as North Pole Express tickets are not available on the day. Trains for the North Pole leave from East Tanfield station, which is signposted from the A6076 Sunniside to Stanley Road.
Children under 1 do not need a ticket to travel. However they will need to take a seat on a parents lap and will not receive a gift from Father Christmas. If you would like a child under 1 to receive a gift, a valid child ticket will need to be purchased.
Dates, times and ticket prices:
Train departures: 10.30am, 11.10am, 11.50am, 12.30pm, 1.20pm, 2pm, 2.40pm, 3.20pm & 4pm.
- 24th November - £15.00 per person
- 25th November - £15.00 per person
- 1st December - £15.00 per person
- 2nd December - £15.00 per person
- 8th December - £15.00 per person (SOLD OUT)
- 9th December - £15.00 per person (SOLD OUT)
- 15th December - £15.00 per person (SOLD OUT)
- 16th December - £15.00 per person (SOLD OUT)
- 22nd December - £16.00 per person (SOLD OUT)
- 23rd December - £16.00 per person (SOLD OUT)
- 24th December - £16.00 per person (SOLD OUT)
Included in ticket:
- Free car parking.
- Children receive a North Pole Express passport.
- Steam train journey from East Tanfield to the North Pole and return.
- Meet Father Christmas in his specially built Grotto at the North Pole - children receive a gift.
- Complimentary refreshments for all the family at the North Pole.
Tickets will be available to purchase online, or at Andrews House station on any normal operating day.
We are unable to take phone bookings
Please click here to be taken to our online shop.
16 August 2018