The railway is in the countryside, so largely open to the elements, with rough & sometimes slippery paths, slopes, gaps & steps. Please be aware at stations or in the shed that steam locomotives may have hot surfaces, & emit sudden loud noises & hot dirty stuff.
- Post code NE16 5ET
- Newcastle to Stanley buses X30 & X31 stop nearby.
- Large free car park, unlit, open 9-5 on operating days, usually 10-4 on others, locked outside these hours. Small always open free car park on opposite side of A6076.
- Rough unlit paths, some cobbles & a fairly steep slope down from the car park
- 250 yards from our Andrews House Station
- There are nearby bridleways, footpaths & cycle routes.
The Marley Hill site includes:
a) Marley Hill Engine Shed
Built 1854, the oldest in the world still in use.
No public access due to building work.
b) Marley Hill Storage Shed
Public access by prior arrangement, if a guide is available.
c) Marley Hill Carriage Shed
Public access on most train operating days, and otherwise by request if a guide is available. Toilets within.
d) Pontop Canteen
Is currently closed.
e) Marley Hill Workshops
No public access
f) Marley Hill Shed Yard
Open to the public most days of the year.
Paths are rough, unmarked & unlit, with raised rails & other hazards.
g) Marley Hill Station
Closed to passengers & the public.